It's been a busy summer of performing, creating, and producing! Here's some of the fun stuff I've been up to:
1) Revenge of the Robot Battle Nuns! I'm a proud member of Boston's horror burlesque troupe The Slaughterhouse Sweethearts. In June and July, we put on the 4th staging of Revenge of the Robot Battle Nuns, a sci-fi epic created by our troupe leader, Fem Bones. One of the biggest characters in the show is Sweetheart, the President’s daughter. Throughout the show, Sweetheart travels through post-apocalyptic America while mutating, encountering all kinds of monsters, and learning a little something about friendship. For the last 3 years, the role has been portrayed by Fem Bones, but I was given the honor of playing the character this time around. It was amazing! Sweetheart begins the show as a beautiful and bratty socialite and finishes the show as a mutated sea creature. The costuming, makeup, splatter, and character work was really fun!
Check out some images of the show by Jonathan Beckley below:
2) Old School Game Show! I'm the executive producer of Old School Game Show an alt-trivia variety show filled with sketch comedy, live music, and audience interactive games. There's nothing quite like it and I'm really proud to be a part of this show. Our swinging 60s-themed season finale in June allowed me to push myself and try new things. I played several parts, including a role where I had to sing! The creator and host of the show, Mike D'Angelo, continues to push and inspire me with each new episode. I've gotten to play all sorts of wacky characters as well as facilitate a lot of the off-stage organization. We will be back on October 18th at Oberon in Cambridge with our season opener and Halloween show! You can see some shots that Roger Gordy took at June's show below!
3) I Put a Spell on You: A New Number! I sustained a significant injury in February and have been dealing with the physical limitations of that since then. Luckily things seem to be on the mend, but I refused to let it stop me. I had to modify old numbers and create new numbers to accommodate the injury to my back. One of these numbers is my classic burlesque piece (with a twist) to Jeff Beck's cover of "I Put a Spell on You."
In July I traveled to Cleveland Ohio to perform as a featured performer in the 5th Annual Ohio Burlesque Festival. It was a real honor to be sharing the stage with some of my favorite performers and to meet a bunch of new people! I love hopping on a plane, with my bat wings in tow, to visit a city I don't reside in. I was proud to represent Boston Burlesque, alongside excellent performer and friend Honey Pie, at this festival!
I Put a Spell on You Images from Sparkletown Productions Presents: Under the Covers (C:Hans Wendland & Jonathan Beckley) and Bon Appetit Burlesque (C: Ben Johnson) and Ohio Burlesque Festival:
4) The Getaway! Last month I had the pleasure of teaming up with local comedian Will Smalley to put together a really cool show called The Getaway! We had a stacked lineup of burlesque, comedy, sideshow, and music. Will is one of my favorite people and is a staple of the Boston comedy scene. We loved combining multiple performance arts to present a show that was a fresh take on old fashioned variety shows. We both hosted and performed and our lineup of performers was SO good:
Claude Kitten & Butch Sassidy
The Slaughterhouse Sweethearts
and DJ Lil Mermaid
We can't wait to produce more of these shows and dates will be forthcoming!
You can check out Will's interview with The Globe here and our interview on WEMF here
We did a really fun photo shoot on Will's motorcycle with Roger Gordy for the promo pics. Michael D'Angelo did all of the design and he's fantastic:
5) Here's a fun thing! Bon Appetit Burlesque has come out with a Burlesque coloring book featuring a ton of awesome, ready to be colored, performers! My Wolf in Peep's Clothing act is featured on one of the fabulous pages! The coloring book was created to celebrate their 5 year Anniversary and the drawings are done by artist Amy J Gardiner. You can pre-order the coloring book here. When you color me in PLEASE send me a pic! Don't worry about staying in lines, Never apologize for your art!
6) Special Announcement! I'm thrilled to announce that I'll be traveling to both The New Orleans Burlesque Festival and The New York City Burlesque Festival to perform The Slaughterhouse Sweethearts' award winning number, Chainsaw! I am so excited to be travelling with Fem Bones and Belle Gunz and hope that we don't die from too much fun. We worked really hard on this number and are so excited to be able to show it off in NOLA and NYC!
If you've seen the number, then you know that it's fucking HOT. If you've seen it, then I know you love it and because you love it, please take a look at our GoFundMe campaign to help raise money for our mini tour!
7) What's Next!? Lots of stuff!
You can check me out at Alternatease: New England's Neo-Burlesque Festival where I'll be performing in 3 acts:
1) A duet with Mary Widow where we will be making Christmas a little creepy & a whole lot sexier (8/13)
2) A BRAND NEW NUMBER with The Slaughterhouse Sweethearts. (oink oink- is all I'm going to say)(8/13)
3) Your last chance to see Chainsaw before we go on our mini-tour! We'll be returning as last year's winners of the Top Banana Award on Friday night! (8/14)
Check out more info about the show here.
For more upcoming shows check out my show calendar!!
Announcements and musings!